Uterine fibroids are very common non-cancerous growths that develop in the muscular wall of the uterus. 20 to 40 percent of women over age 35 have uterine fibroids and can affect up to 80 percent of women by age 50.
Common symptoms include:
- Heavy, prolonged menstrual periods
- Intermittent unusual monthly bleeding
- Bladder pressure leading to a frequent urge to urinate
- Pelvic pain and pressure
- Fatigue due to anemia
- Pain in the back and legs
- Pain during sexual intercourse
- Pressure on the bowel, leading to constipation and bloating
- Abnormally enlarged abdomen
Of the 600,000 hysterectomies performed annually within the United States, one third are due to symptomatic fibroids. Now there is a proven, non-surgical alternative to hysterectomy for the treatment of symptomatic uterine fibroids, uterine fibroid embolization (UFE). UFE is a safe method and, like other minimally invasive procedures, has significant advantages over conventional surgery.
Visit our Women's Health section to learn more about our services and uterine fibroid embolization and see how Horizon Vascular Specialists can help you.